Remnants of the Red Serpent Empire - Crimson Isle's Campaign Setting
Our world is known as Drekkiheminn.
Legends tell of a time long ago when our world was nothing but water, a great dragon and a titanic hero did battle here. When the hero slew the dragon, its body fell into the sea and became the continents, whilst the hero, tired from his battle, laid himself to rest inside the moon.
Today, the four continents resulting from this conflict stand divided and isolated, some more or less advanced than others, all looking toward what lies ahead.
Our current story takes place on the dangerous Dragonsblood continent, known best to most of it’s inhabitants, as well as the rest of the world, as the Crimson Isles. To outsiders, this land is quite strange and inhospitable. Blades and skill reigns supreme, and the vast majority of magics do not work, outside the minor limitation of local spirit based arts, draconic magic, and the powers of those who have evolved here. Any other spells cast just seem to funnel away into the earth.
Current Area Class Limitations:
Restricted – All Psionics – Extremely rare as they are still emerging, possible psionic potential is determined at 2nd level with a d100 roll. If you do end up as psionic, take heed. Most do not know the difference between psions and mages, so the social stigma of magic will continue to follow you.
Limited – Western Classes – Classes in the crimson isles have come about with a heavy Asiatic flavor, which favor skill and artistry over the power of pure blunt force. Classes that would not exist within this setting can be limited somewhat.
- Barbarian: only native to So’ou plains
- Bard : Geisha archetypes only
- Sorcerer: only Draconic bloodline works
- Bloodrager: See Sorcerer
- Druid: Magic works, but druidic tradition here is uncommon. Shaman is the likely replacement
- Cleric: Though clerical magic does work if sponsored by a native kami, no nations in the crimson isles train clerics, and godly magic is only wielded by those gifted it (Oracles)
- Gunslinger: Bolt Ace archetype only.
- Rogue: No minor/major magic rogue trick
- Ranger: Archetypes that replace spellcasting only. Trapper, Skirmisher, and Yojimbo are most common
- Vigilante: Nonmagical archetypes only
Banned – As previously stated, the vast majority of magics do not work, outside the minor limitation of local spirit based arts, draconic magic, and the powers of those who have evolved here. Any other spells cast just seem to funnel away into the earth. The same limitations apply to magic items, and outside of spell completion and charged spell trigger items (potions, wands, scrolls) magic items do not function at all.
On a related note, Racial archetypes of these classes for races that would be natively adapted to the area, can bypass this limitation.